Cast Iron Pan

My husband bought me a Texas cast iron skillet from Fredericksburg for my birthday. I am thrilled with this pan!  Cast iron skillets are a great choice for outdoor cooking because of their even heat distribution and durability.  But this is not just any camping pan.  There are steps to take to ensure its proper use. Here are some things to keep in mind when first seasoning your cast iron pan: 

Heat the pan slowly to avoid cracking.

Apply a thin layer of oil to the cooking surface.

Heat the pan until the oil smokes, then turn off the heat and let the pan cool completely.

Repeat the seasoning process a few times to create a nonstick surface.

With proper care, your cast iron pan can last for generations, and this one is an heirloom. 

I'm curious to hear what you'll cook in your cast iron pan. Please send me a note. 



Comments