It Starts With Spanish Rice

I will start at the beginning, my debut in cooking food begins with a memory.  I remember my grandmother's Spanish Rice. That is where my food journey begins. 

As a little girl, I walked into my paternal grandmother's kitchen one day, only to find her toasting rice on the stove. Before she added tomato sauce and spices to the steaming grains, the distinct smell of the toasted rice was significant to me. 

She sat me down that day and gave me a small plate with some toasted rice and a little bit of salt for flavor. I remember the crunch of each grain and the flavor. 


What an impression it imprinted in my soul. My grandmother told me, "taste the grains from the beginning", which is why we will start with Spanish Rice. 

A great meal can be created around Spanish Rice. 

Ingredients: 

(1) cup of Long Grain Rice (Long Grain works much better than short for this particular recipe) 

Note: I do not rinse the rice ahead of time

(2) tablespoons of Oil (Vegetable or Canola or Corn work best) (I do not advise using Olive Oil since it tends to change the taste)

(8) cups of water divided in half

(2) tablespoons of Knorr Tomato Bouillon with Chicken Flavoring   (My "cheater" ingredient)

*Half a white onion (diced) can be added if you so chose. 


Instructions: 

Step (1):    Add oil to a pan and turn the heat to medium-high. Sprinkle rice evenly and coat with oil. Toast rice stirring every 15 - 20 seconds until golden brown. This can take up to 1-2 minutes depending on the range. This process will give the rice a more nutty flavor. 

Step (2):     Once the rice is toasted, add (4) cups of water to the pan being careful because there will be steam that rises. The water should completely cover the rice. Now, this instruction is really important. DO NOT STIR THE RICE. 

Step (3)     After you have added the water, then add the (2) tablespoons of Knorr to the water. Remember DO NOT STIR THE RICE. I add the Knorr and try to only stir the water trying hard not to disturb the rice. 

Once you have added the Knorr, lower the heat to medium and let the water absorb into the rice. 

Step (4)    Once the water has been absorbed you will add the last (4) cups of water to be absorbed. This process may take about 20 - 25 minutes, depending on your range. Remember DO NOT STIR THE RICE. 

When the water is fully absorbed then remove it from the heat and let Rice stand for about 5 minutes, longer is fine also. Then enjoy. 

*If you choose to add a diced onion then you can sauté it with the rice during Step (1)

I tend to not cover my rice during the cooking process until it is waiting to be eaten to keep it warm. 

Making rice can be tricky so if it doesn't turn out how you would like it the first time, don't give up, keep trying. As you can tell the most important instruction is to NOT STIR THE RICE. I say this because I made that mistake many times and ended up with mush. Oh well, we keep trying until we get it the way we want it. 

By the way, this recipe works great on a camping trip. 

I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does both at home and out on the trails. 

KEEP EXPLORING AND KEEP COOKING.



Comments