Abuelas Tortillas

It has been a while since I've written an entry. April and May, we're busy with our youngest child graduating high school. So many memories and more await! Well, all that is finished for now. On to my next entry and recipe.

In reflecting on a recipe, again, I thought of my grandmothers, mother, and the ladies in my church group who make homemade tortillas. Tortillas were and have always been a staple in our house since as far back as I can remember. I call the group “Sisterhood of the Traveling Tortillas.” The stories these ladies can tell while making the masa and rolling tortillas are amazing.  I thought, why not add to the rice recipe from before and make tortillas as we continue to build our food table?

Over the years, tortilla recipes have evolved. Some make corn or use wheat flour. Several add butter, and those who still add lard, as both of my abuelas did. I altered how I make tortillas a little. I no longer use lard; I use vegetable shortening.

This recipe is what I remember my abuelas making multiple times a day, minus the lard. If you choose to add lard or vegetable shortening, that is solely up to you.


Flour Tortilla Recipe – Very Common Recipe (Makes 12 Tortillas)




Ingredients:

2 cups All-Purpose Flour

1 tsp baking Powder

1 tsp table salt

½ cup of vegetable shortening

2/3 cups of warm water (this is where my mom and I disagree, she says it must be hot water)

Instructions:

Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening in a bowl.

Add warm water, and knead the dough until well-mixed

Form into medium size balls.

Roll out each ball into a thin circle.

Place on a hot griddle, or cast-iron pans work great as well, cook one side for about a minute, then flip and cook the other side until well done.


Get cooking, and we will continue to complete our table with a new recipe next week.


Comments